Soft & Fluffy Hot Cross Buns Recipe using Schärdinger Buttermilk
Preparation time: approx. 10 mins
Cooking Time: 70 mins
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 180g Schardinger Buttermilk
- 500g bread flour
- 4g dried yeast or 12g fresh yeast
- 140g full-fat milk
- 2 eggs
- 20g honey
- 40g butter
- 75g white sugar
- 1g cinnamon powder
- 0.5g nutmeg powder
- 8g salt
- 80g sultanas
- 60g candied orange peel
- 65g all-purpose flour
- 35g milk
- 35g powdered sugar
- 35g butter
Directions – Dough:
- Combine the flour, yeast, milk, Schärdinger Buttermilk, egg, butter, and honey in the bowl of your mixer and knead for 20 minutes on low speed.
- In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Whilst still kneading the dough, add the sugar mixture one teaspoon at a time, trying to keep the dough elastic.
- Transfer the dough in a greased bowl and let it rise covered in the fridge for 8 hours, or 2 hours at room temperature if you are in a rush.
- Add sultanas, and chopped candied orange peel to the dough. Knead into the dough, making sure everything is well distributed.
- Cut the dough into pieces of 60g each and shape them into small balls.
- Place the buns on a baking tray and let them rise again for 1 more hour or until double in volume.
- Brush the buns with egg wash before the next step.
Directions – Cross:
- Mix the softened butter with the sugar – don’t whip, just mix them together.
- Add the milk and flour and mix into a paste.
- Place the paste into a piping bag then pipe a cross on each bun.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170°C for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.