Light and Airy Cheese Soufflé for Saint Valentine’s day, using Fior Di Vita Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Preparation time: approx. 20 min
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 85g Fior Di Vita Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 3 1/2 tbsp flour
- 235ml whole milk
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 large egg yolks
- 5 large cold egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
Fior Di Vita Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 200°C and set oven rack in lowest position. Grease interior of 4 small ramekins with softened butter. Add some grated Parmigiano-Reggiano to the buttered surfaces making sure that ramekins are evenly coated. Transfer prepared ramekins to the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a small saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat, add flour and whisk to form paste. Add milk gradually whilst whisking constantly, and making sure that no lumps are forming.
- Stir sauce until it begins to thicken slightly. Reduce heat to low and keep stirring for about 3 minutes until sauce is nicely thickened. Season generously with salt and pepper. Transfer béchamel sauce to large heatproof mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- Whisk Dijon mustard into béchamel. Then, whilst whisking constantly, work in egg yolks one at a time until thoroughly mixed. Set soufflé base aside.
- In large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, combine egg whites with cream of tartar and beat until firm, glossy peaks form.
- Add 1/3 of beaten egg whites to béchamel base and stir well until whites are thoroughly combined and soufflé base has a looser consistency. Mix in Fior Di Vita Shredded Cheddar Cheese. Using a silicon spatula, gently fold remaining beaten egg whites into soufflé base until just combined.
- Remove soufflé ramekins from refrigerator and set on baking tray. Scrape soufflé batter into prepared ramekins, filling them up to the inner ridge, not to the top. If desired, gently smooth and level surface of the soufflé batter.
- Transfer soufflé ramekins to oven and bake until well risen and nicely browned on top, about 30 minutes. Immediately transfer soufflé ramekins to table and serve before they deflate.